Tuesday 31 July 2018

Festivals for Free - Standon Calling

I'm exhausted but happy after an awesome weekend at Standon Calling Festival. I got to go for free in return for volunteering, doing 3 stints totalling 16(ish) hours selling programmes. 

Being local did mean that I wimped out and slept at home Friday - just before a storm hit!) instead of in the tent, but only cos I needed respite from the 33 C heat (and it was nice to use a proper toilet. I won't go into details!). Then Sunday I nipped back to change shorts for leggings to prevent frostbite and rust!

We didn't see Paloma Faith on Friday night after a busy and very hot 4 hour shift knackered us out  but we apparently didn't miss much - she allegedly mimed all but three songs. Which kind of defeats the objective of going to see someone perform live...

George Ezra was brilliant on Saturday
Standing there in the crowd of all ages, I felt that calm, happy peace that good music can bring. Yes it may sound hippyish, but there's a lot to be said for feeling happy (no drugs involved!).
night - local boy (Hertford) done good!

Sunday was fabulous if wet. Yeah, thanks everyone who had been praying for rain - we curse you! After striking camp and taking everything home, Hev had the forethought to bring back the chairs. And changed into entirely inappropriate clothing - shorts & flip flops. Senior moment... (Sorry Hev!)

Music-wise, Marmozets blew everyone away (saw them support Muse in Brighton on the Psycho Tour); The Horrors were cool as ****, then the ultimate in cool, Bryan Ferry finished off the weekend with more hits than I thought I knew, such as Slave to Love, Avalon, Lets Stick Together and the heart breaking Jealous Guy.
Thank God I booked today off work to recover!
Despite it's best efforts, Sunday's rain failed to remove my glitter.

Bryan Ferry. He may be in his 70s, but I still would.

No comments:

Post a Comment